Toothpaste cleans, restores, and protects tooth enamel. But did you know that toothpaste serves multiple purposes around the house? Non-gel toothpaste can soothe common ailments, remove strong smells, and act as a household cleaner. Try these toothpaste tips outside of your oral care routine:
- Aloe doesn’t have to be the first thing you reach for when you sustain a minor burn. Delicately apply toothpaste to the burn for immediate and temporary relief.
- Toothpaste can decrease swelling and stop the itch of bug bites, blisters, sores, and pimples. When applied to sores, the wound heals more rapidly. For best results, leave toothpaste on the blister overnight.
- For stronger and shinier fingernails, scrub them with a toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Garlic, onions, and fish can leave a pungent odor on your skin, even after washing with soap and water. Next time, scrub your hands with toothpaste to remove the lingering odor.
- Toothpaste not only removes food stains from teeth, but can also remove unsightly marks from fabric and carpets. To treat stains on clothing, apply a small amount of toothpaste and rub briskly until the stain has vanished. When tackling carpet stains, scrub with toothpaste and a firm brush, then rinse immediately. (Avoid whitening toothpastes on colored fabrics and carpets due to the bleaching effects.)
- Silver jewelry and diamonds sparkle after cleaning with toothpaste. For diamonds, scrub gently with a toothbrush and water. Rinse thoroughly to bring out a stunning shine. For silver jewelry, rub toothpaste on and leave overnight. Wipe dry toothpaste off in the morning with a soft cloth. Warning: do not use toothpaste on pearls and opals.
- To keep goggles from fogging underwater, apply a small dab of toothpaste to the lens. Rub gently to avoid scratching the lens. Rinse thoroughly.
Brushing your teeth twice a day with toothpaste can reduce your chances for developing gum disease and tooth decay. To ensure healthy teeth, contact me, Dr. Peter Pate at (404)266-9424 to schedule a thorough dental cleaning and check up. I am a general family and cosmetic dentist in the Buckhead area of Atlanta, and I provide excellent oral care for families in Sandy Springs, Brookhaven, Lenox, and surrounding areas.