In a previous blog post, we discussed the risks, causes, and symptoms of sleep apnea. Dr. Peter Pate offers his patients snoring and sleep apnea treatments. Scientists devote a lot of research to sleep. Although we spend nearly 30% of our life in bed, we are often unaware of the science of sleep. Below are a few interesting facts and trivia dedicated to what happens while we rest.
Facts You May Not Know About Sleep
- Sleep is a necessity. Sleep deprivation can result in death before starvation. In as little as 10 days without sleep, you could be facing mortality.
- There are four stages of sleep that you progress through in your sleep cycle. The deepest stages of sleep help your organs and tissues repair from daily damage
- Outside of the four sleep stages, you enter Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep multiple times throughout the night
- In the past, researchers believed that humans only dreamed during REM sleep. However, recent findings have shown that we dream throughout the night, but REM dreaming is more vivid and strange.
- Before electricity was available in homes, people slept about 10 hours a night on average.
- Giraffes only sleep for two hours a day.
- Electronic devices and sedentary lifestyle contribute to sleep deprivation and reduce our quality of sleep.
- Some researchers are studying whether or not other mammals dream. So far the research is inconclusive.
- Sleep deprivation weakens your immune system, contributes to high blood pressure, and can increase your risk for heart disease.
If you feel you may not be getting the quality sleep you need because of snoring or sleep apnea symptoms, contact Dr. Pate today at (404) 266-9424. We serve patients in Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Vinings, Atlanta, and the neighboring areas.